Friday 26 June 2020

More Than One Voice

For me in the grand scheme of things I'm privileged. Yes I've had to deal with racism and sexism in school, at work. 
I've navigated peoples biases unconscious and otherwise. 

I've lived in countries where men assumed I was a prostitute because I'm black, even though I wasn't wearing clothes that you could even mistake as provocative or slutty. 
I mean I've seen prostitutes, they dress in a way and their behaviour  shows that they're available, and I wasn't ever showing or wearing any of those signs.

I've had pleasant professional conversations on the phone in English, Spanish and Portuguese. When I showed up at the reception desk, the shock and sometimes disdain was obvious because I didn't look or sound like the Evette Franklin they pictured when we spoke on the phone.

So yeah that's part of my truth. The other part is I've always had great job and business opportunities. Opportunities for education, for leadership roles. I've lived in cites that people dream of visiting. Traveled to parts of the world on peoples bucket lists. I have had and still have influential and empowering teachers and mentors.
So yes I say I'm privileged and perception is truth, isn't it.

That's my perspective. I know in many countries especially in the developing countries girls that look like me are not valued. It's considered a waste to educate them. They are the property of their fathers and their lives belong to their families.

SIDE NOTE: 
I hate those labels "3rd World and Developing countries"
I think they were created to make us feel less than and for me, nothing or no one is "less than" on our beautiful planet. These labels are a society/human construct of separation. 

Where am I going with all this? I'm privileged  to be a board member in an all female board of a NGO called Global Girl Project.
We run leadership and social change programes for girls like the ones I described above.
Before COVID19 this was delivered through and exchange programe to Nepal.  Can you imagine the mind expanding experience of travel for girls like these?

            

Before the pandemic we launched a very successful blended learning programe, which is online and delivered in Haiti and Nigeria.  We work with incredible partners and facilitators with the same mission to empower these girls to unlock the dreams and greatness they have inside of them.

Over the last few months the girls have put pen to paper and we have a beautiful collection of their stories.  Girls from 7 countries sharing their voices with the world. The book is Titled More Than One Voice
All we need is to get that book published and we're fundraising to do so.
For more info and to DONATE click HERE

This week I had the pleasure of interviewing the founding director of Global Girl Project Julia Lynch, on my Facebook live called Success Clues.

  

Check out the full interview. Click HERE to watch Success Clues with Julia Lynch


It was so much fun for me to spend time listening to Julia share her journey and vision for Global Girl Project.


Until the next post/time Happy Growth Games.



Please leave comments below, share this post and most importantly enjoy!!!


#globalgirlproject #morethanonevoice #successclues #growthgames #girlsleading #learnsharegrow #growthgames #lifelessons #launica #beyourauthenicself



     https://twitter.com/evettejelaunica                               



No comments: